Sunday, March 1, 2009

Delhi-6

Ok... It gives me great pleasure in being "Mr. Unpopular" on this one. Especially so, as all my friends I've talked to so far have given 'bad' to 'poor' ratings to this one. And here I am whole-heartedly admitting, that I simply loved it. (Except for the end, which I felt was unnecessarily melodramatic). And I say this, not for "being different", but because I genuinely liked it. And here's why...

Story - Firstly, it's not a different or a new story. An 'American-born-Desi coming to India & discovering his roots' is nothing new. Many have depicted it in the past, some in a serious patriotic manner whilst others in a lighter vein. But, it is the treatment that matters. In that sense, I found it down-to-earth, clinical & 'as-is'. The script-writers & the director have handled issues like communal rifts, casteism, male-domination in a family, wide-spread superstition in the society, the irresponsible facet of media & journalism, the struggle, fear & apprehension of following one's heart (Sonam's character), the hypocrisy in the society and the forward+progressive thought-process of the West in a manner that not once had the stink of a 'preaching tone'. Besides, it is short. 2hrs, 20 minutes or so. Not unnecessarily dragged to reach the 3-hour mark that most Indian movies religiously follow as though it is some kind of a rule!

Characters - Now this was brilliantly handled. Firstly, it is not 1 or two characters to build & handle. It's a complete basti or a muhalla. I have great trouble in handling my small team at office or my football team of 11 players. And to get the best out of soooo many characters, who at most times, appear natural & convincing, is indeed difficult! I felt sick to the stomach when a comment-update on Facebook said that 'there was no chemistry amidst the 100 characters'! Duh!! But then... 'Democracy hein bhai... Jo chahe kar/keh sakte ho!' :-).

Performances - Wahida, Om-Puri are veterans & did justice to their tag. Rishi Kapoor too played the role of a large-hearted, repentant but 'now-has-got-along-with-life' dardi-lover so well. Sonam had great screen presence & was so refreshing! Abhishekh too was very good. I wonder if anyone noticed the character of 'Ramaa', who plays the decent, obedient bahu of the house. She, I felt, gave a brilliant performance. Her adjusting-nature & goodness-at-heart, the state she is reduced to due to male-dominance, the dreams she has often killed or desires she has gulped inorder to keep the elders happy came out very well. The rustic cop & 'Jalebi' too did justice to their roles.

Music - Fantastic! Period.

Costumes, make-up - So convincing & relatable.

Set, locations - No jazzy stuff. It's a crazy, often filthy, neighbourhood as demanded by the script. And relatable too.

Kaalaa bandar - Now I'm forced to include this as a 'bullet-item' as some people feel that Delhi-6 was just about this! Infact, the script writers have used this as means to introducing the real-issues. Those of superstition, poor journalism, gullibility, political-profitability, spark-plug of communal-rifts etc. The spine is to support the body & the body is not just the spine! Also the age-old tradition of the Ram-Leela was used to subtly pass on so many points. Especially where Ram is accepting figs from a tribal Shabari, but the muhalla-wallas ill-treating 'Jalebi' as she comes from a 'lower' caste...

Climax - Now this could have been different or at least less melodramatic. I often like ends that are let loose. That leaves the spectator to think for himself, rather than tying the knot & reaching an all-happy conclusion.

Many more points, but I'll stop here.

Just that, the more movies I watch & the more stories I read, I'm beginning to believe that story-telling is no trivial art. I am getting more & more sympathetic & conscious about the story-teller's or the director's point-of-view and not just that of the popcorn-munchers'...

10 comments:

me said...

Quite an entry... I must admit that hearing about "kala bandar" from everyone didn't really entice me to watch the movie. Will now watch

Sagar Bhanagay said...

Ya... mine was a similar state. Throw away all reviews, opinions & watch with an open mind (if that's ever possible ;-))

Ashutosh said...

ei masak kali masak kali
ud matak kali matak kali
ei masak kali masak kali
ud matak kali matak kali
ei masak kali masak masak kali
ud matak kali matak kali
masak kali masak kali
ud matak kali matak kali

zara pankh jhatak
gayi dhool atak
aur lachak machak ke dur bhatak
ud dagar dagar
kasbe kooche
nukkad basti mein ye ye ye
tadi se mud ada se ud
karle poori dil ki tamanna
hawa se jud ada se ud
phur phur phur
tu hai heera panna re
masak kali masak kali
ud matak kali matak kali
masak kali masak kali
ud matak kali matak kali

ghar tera saloni badal ki colony
dikhlaade thenge in sabko jo udna naa jaane

udiyo na dariyo kar
manmaani manmaani manmaani
badhiyo naa mudiyo kar naadani
udiyo na dariyo kar
manmaani manmaani manmaani
badhiyo naa mudiyo kar naadani
tan taanle muskaan le
kahe sana nana nana nanana hawa
bas thaan le tu jaan le
kahe sana nana nana nanana hawa
ei masak kali masak kali
ud matak kali matak kali
ei masak kali masak masak kali
masak kali masak kali
ud matak matak matak…


tujhe kya gham tera rishta
gagan ki baansuri se hai
pawan ki guftagoo se hai
sooraj ki raushni se hai

udiyo na dariyo kar
manmaani manmaani manmaani
badhiyo naa mudiyo kar naadani
udiyo na dariyo kar
manmaani manmaani manmaani
badhiyo naa mudiyo kar naadani
tan taanle muskaan le
kahe sana nana nana nanana hawa
bas thaan le tu jaan le
kahe sana nana sana nanana hawa

masak kali masak kali
ud matak matak matak kali
masak kali masak masak kali

Sagar Bhanagay said...

Ya ya! Ain't this an amazing song? Totally sticks in your head. :-). Had it been written by 'Faiz', it would have made it to 'Dhun' too ;-) :-D

Ashutosh said...

I am afraid I would agree with you sagar. (hoping that the owner of DHUN doesnt mind the sarcasism.

For me, todate, DELHI 6 is all about this song.
Initially I thought it was from Slumdog.

I feel that Rehman is such a good composer that Lyricist are unable to write a sensible stuff that suits his compositions.

Then I decided to know the lyrics of this song. Had to listen some 30-35 times and then downloaded the lyrics for this.

Eventually, I feel this is an AMAZING song.
awesome words .. awesome music and well sung..

Sagar Bhanagay said...

Incidentally, Mohit Chauhan, the singer of this song, gave a performance at Symbiosis, Hinjewadi last Sunday :-). U should also listen to his "Guncha Koi" song. Too good!

Ashutosh said...

i have a rept of missing such things man !!!

me said...

No it wouldnt have made to Dhun even if it was written by Faiz... maybe I am Ms Unpopular here, but I have not taken much fance to this song, both the lyrics and the music

me said...

/fance/fancy

btw... where have you dissapeared? Haven't heard from you for ages.

Sagar Bhanagay said...

He he... was pulling your leg :-). In fact I like "Genda Phool" more than "Masakkali" from the same movie...
The new job's sucked me in... Leaves no time for myself :-(